Friday, January 2, 2009

Kate's day in Napier

My day started out nice with a run along the bay. I started out running with Ann Marie but she is a champion runner. She will down play it but she is FAST LIKE LIGHTENING! I made it about 3 miles and then walked the rest, she must have went about six miles. It was a beautiful place to run. On one side was the ocean and the other side the beautiful city. Pretty cool. Great way to start the day.

Today we went on two tours - A walking tour of the city and a wine tasting tour. Here are the highlights.
  1. Walking tour - Napier is an Art Deco city. The city was wiped out in the 1930s by an earth quake. When the rebuild they did in Art Deco architecture. I didn't know what that was but i learn alot. It is basically 20s 30s style buildings. Picture pastels, geometric shapes, zigzag patterns, sun bursts and you will know what I am talking about. It was neat to learn the history of the town.
  2. Wine tasting tour - We went on a HawksBay winetasting tour with our guide Karl and an Aussie named Vince. We hit about 4 wineries and tasted about 30 wines. At one stop they talked to us about wine/food pairings as we sampled from a delicious tappas plate. they have great wines but the NZ production only makes up about .28 of the world's wine industry. We had a nice day and great conversation.

After dinner and a walk along the beach we are settling in for the night. Tomorrow we fly to Christchurch. Christchurch is supposed to be the most English town outside of England. We'll see how it goes.

1 comment:

  1. BBD, The Songs I would sing - from an old post:

    If Your Happy and You Know It...Then make up some goofy stuff.

    I'm a Little Tea Pot - This one is a winner in my book.

    I don't know the song but it starts like this: "Ain't no thing but a G thing Baby, Two loked G's goin' crazy"

    My dad's favorite: "Once abouta'time a goose drunk wine, a monkey chewed tobacco on a street car line, line broke, monkey got choked, and they went to haven on a little red boat...RED, RED, Wine...don't you feeel soo fine!...Red, red wine!

    I Shot the Sheriff - Marley

    Wheels on the Bus - Appropriate for the occasion

    Margaritaville (Jimmy Buffett) or Lambburger in Paradise

    Who Let the Dogs Out - Baha Men

    Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody - Wayne did it.

    And of course YMCA by the Village People!

    Man, I wish I was on that bus!!!

    ReplyDelete